Thursday, April 3, 2008

Facebook News Feed on Wedding Ring


On monday we talked about the new Facebook news feed that was installed during 2007. Of course it's fun to see what your friends are writing among each other and know who's friends with who now. However, it is not fun when you buy an engagement ring and all your friends including your bride to be finds out about it. This is what happened to a guy who bought the engagement ring on overstock.com and a couple of hours later his buddies were calling him to congratulate him. I think this has gone to far on the part of Facebook, their is a privacy section on the website for a reason and I think that your personal purchases should be kept private as well. In class we learned that facebook did offer an apology and some of the news feed related to online purchases were removed. I think that this is just the beginning of other intrusions of privacy coming in our direction, with new technology and websites such as facebook their is more ground for marketers and advertising agencies to reach us and know more information about our private lives. Although I am a pr and advertising major and I want to know my costumer more at the same time I want to respect their personal life and I don't want them to feel intruded by our company or product. Facebook made a mistake and apologized, but this leads me to believe that their will be more upcoming surprising news feeds.

1 comment:

pssst.. said...

I completely agree that Facebook is out of control. All of these new applications are unnecessary and making Facebook more "Myspace-like." I remember my freshman year when we didn't have access to Facebook because St. Edward's wasn't on the site yet. I use to use my brother's account to look at friends from different schools. But after multiple e-mails and phone calls they finally gave us access. And now, they've just gone mad. There are a ton of people who don't use Facebook anymore because it's gotten so cluttered with applications. The market for Facebook loyalty is nonexistent. (Unless you're a stalker, jk.)