Sunday, April 20, 2008

Divorce Drama on Youtube

Last week we saw in class how a woman who was getting divorced from her husband had made a video about the whole divorce drama. The video was posted on youtube and it has received more then 150,000 hits. What stoke me the most was that I got on CNN.com and found this story in one of the top tech stories on the site. I thought this was unbelievable, before people would get scared if their secret melodramas would come out in a popular gossip magazine, but today the gossip magazine is the Internet. The woman is getting a divorce and trashing her husbands family in the video. I think that a person who makes a video about her divorce is deluded and can loose alot credibility in front of her lawyers and the court. Despite the craziness this video has become quite popular and it's kinda funny to watch.
Social media networks help us to communicate important things, but at the same time I think some people are using these tools for the wrong purposes.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/15/youtube.divorce.ap/index.html

4 comments:

Christina99 said...

I think your right, the internet is a great way to share information, but some people share the wrong information!!
Although the video was so weird and sad it was funny, it made me think of the new adaption of the TV reality shows.
Yes, youtube is all about sharing information from real people instead of actors etc. This video could be a scary trend in what is being broadcasted around the internet with no clue whether the information is true or not

Rika said...

I think that this divorce thing goes along with the teenage beatings that were put up on you tube. Some people are going to far with what they are putting up on the web for people to see. Its just a way to make headlines. Like she stated in her post, this was one of the top stories on CNN.com. Social Media tools shouldnt be used to do stupid stuff like this. It really makes me angry that we are suppose to use these tools to educate and instead we are using them to gain publicity. I hope this lady gets laughed at in court.

Anonymous said...

After we saw this in class, everywhere i looked there was something being said about it. I was trying to have a peaceful dinner at Applebees, and yep it was on TV. I think it def. hurts her credibility especially when she's coming across as a psycho, but if publicity is what she's looking for, then she did the right thing. The internet is indeed a super powerful tool.

Anonymous said...

After we watched this video in class, I was at a loss for words. If he didn't have a reason to divorce her before, now he does. I mean really, what was the purpose of the video? Was this a part of the healing process, was she trying to get back at him, embarrass him, or was she just looking for her 10 minutes of fame? Yes, the video is outrageous and a pathetic attempt to "i don't know what" but what really bothers me is the amount of traffic this video is generating. It's like the tabloids, the only reason they do so well is because people seem to enjoy reading all about drama, drama, drama. Whatever she wanted to get out of this video, it looks like she's well on her way to getting it. I predict that were going to see some copy cats on youtube and I predict that some of them might be just as popular.